Sunday, June 9, 2013

Week 23 in film

Before Midnight (Richard Linklater, 2013)
With the previous films being amongst my personal favorites I was somewhat afraid of a disappointment. The start felt a bit off, we see Jesse with his son at the airport, is this film going to live up to its predecessors? The answer: yes. It doesn't take too long before Jesse and Celine are together talking and talking, and talking. May be boring for many, it blew me away again. The conversations are so real, feel so natural and made me sit on the edge of my seat the entire time. After three films the 2nd (Before Sunset) is still the best. Linklater stated that this is the last one, I wonder how he feels in 9 years from now. Anyway, forget the Godfather-trilogy, this is better!  8.5/10



All I Desire (Douglas Sirk, 1953)
As I am watching a lot of films from the early thirties lately the great Barbara Stanwyck grows in my book of favorite actresses. In this film she is somewhat older, but still on fire. Not the best Sirk, but her performance makes it definitely worthwhile. 7.5/10

The Divorcee (Robert Z. Leonard, 1930)
Apparently a pre-code classic. Were the actors acting or reading from the script? To me they felt like cardboard, the story, controversial maybe, but nevertheless predictable and too sweet. Forgettable. 5/10

Design for Living (Ernst Lubitsch, 1933)
Much better example of a qualitative product of pre-code Hollywood. Funny and well-acted film from the director of favorites like Trouble in Paradise and To Be or Not To Be. Oh, and I will look up more films that have Edward Everett Horton, what a character!  7.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment