Monday, May 21, 2012

Walkabout (Nicolas Roeg, 1971)

When I prepared for my Australia trip 1,5 years ago I stumbled upon a number of movies in the Lonely Planet guide. I am not sure anymore if Nicolas Roeg’s Walkabout was in there, but I would say it is obligatory for anyone who somehow relates to this beautiful country. Many hail this movie as a masterpiece and I can fully understand why. I will get into the cinematic qualities shortly but first I have to say it was a very personal experience for me, having been a guest Down Under for a year I felt somewhat melancholic watching the red hot desert, the kangaroos, the carpet pythons and even listening to the buzzing blowflies made me want to go back. Disregarding my personal attachment this movie is a pearl!

It tells the story of a father (who works in mining, still the main driver of Australia’s flourishing economy) of two children who took them outback and commits a bizarre suicide. The teenage girl (Jenny Agutter) and her younger brother (Luc Roeg, the director’s son) end up in the deserted but beautiful outback and seem doomed until they run into a 16-year old Aborigine boy.

Director Roeg started his career as a cinematographer (Lawrence of Arabia, Fahrenheit 451) and this is visible throughout the entire film. He captures the endless beauty and harmonious nature in a poetic way like for instance Malick can and uses intelligent editing. His obvious message lies in the visual contradictions between nature and (mining) industry (mainly towards the end). The cross-cutting between the Aborigine boy slaying a Kangaroo and the conventional butcher says a lot but there is more. Like Roger Ebert points out in his spot-on review there is also the issue of communication.
There is definitely a sexual attraction or tension developing between the 14-year old girl and the Aborigine boy but since they cannot communicate the black native (who has no problems communicating with the younger brother) has to fall back to his ritual dance which doesn’t have the desired effect. One could interpret this as if the cultural differences get in the way of natural developments in a number of ways as pointed out by Roeg.

A lot of the problems that are going on in Australia with the Aboriginals are left implicit by the director and are visualized by the surroundings and how both cultures are treating animals and especially nature. Roeg does make explicit that 'western' Australians and Aborigines are in two different worlds together with the striking scene with the abandoned car, not very subtle, but effective. On the other hand this film doesn’t explicitly points out the country’s history of genocide (this is what happened!) but leaves room for interpretation. It may not reach every viewer, but instead of making a 'standard' moralizing picture, we got our visual and poetic masterpiece.

I saw the final sequence 4 times and I believe it is one of the most beautiful and at the same time depressing scenes I ever saw. For a film from the early seventies it is scary how it predicts and criticizes developments that have expanded more and more over the years. I believe it is not just criticizing the Australian mining industrialization, Walkabout is a general statement about man's attitude towards nature.

9/10

2 comments:

  1. fahrenheit hm kicke. kga m kijken

    1+1=2

    ReplyDelete
  2. A great and spot-on review of a truly great film. I have just watched for the 10th time! You forgot to mention the late John Barry's wonderful music score. I will probably watch this film another ten times easily. I saw it at the cinema in '72 when it first arrived.

    ReplyDelete