Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Week 29 in film

Daisies (Vera Chytilova, 1966)
Not sure why this film is in so many top-lists (They Shoot Pictures..). It is original but I found it annoying, there is no plotlogic, overdone editing and the two girls we are looking at bored me really fast. 4.5/10

Millennium Mambo (Hsiao-hsien Hou, 2001)
My high expectations were rising in the brilliant opening sequence. Unfortunately there is not enough plot to keep me on this high. Some beautiful photography, but a slow pace doesn't work in this case for me. Not sure why, the good vibe is slowly dimming and fails to hit you in the face in the end as I was expecting somehow. I did love the soundtrack for especially the first hour, spot on.  7/10


Red 2 (Dean Parisot, 2013)
If you don't mind taking a film too serious and like over-the-top action this will be laugh riot. Refreshing to see an action film that is self aware of how ridiculous it is. Malkovich, Willis and Hopkins act accordingly. Yes, I had a suprisingly good time, who cares if the plot doesn't make sense :)  6.5/10

The Internship (Shawn Levy, 2013)
Showcase for 'Hollywood formulas 101'. This Google-ad has all the one-dimensional characters you expect and the plot develops accordingly. Extremely unoriginal, don't waste your money on this film, except if you don't mind a predictable, everyone-loves-each-other-even-for-the-2889788th time comedy.  2.5/10

Grown Ups 2 (Dennis Dugan, 2013)
Surprisingly....not too bad! Sandler reached rock bottom with Jack and Jill and perhaps those Razzies gave him some food for thought. His jokes are still from a doubtful level but he seems to be more aware of it. There is less plot, less moral (thank God!!) and he falls back on some good old Sandler-violence. Still has some of the bad aspects of Grown Ups but this film has less to say, therefore it is better. I had quite a good time. Salma Hayek is way too hot for Sandler, but this time he noticed himself ;-). 5.5/10


Despicable Me (Pierre Coffin a.o. , 2010)
Adorable animation but it will never become my favourite genre. It is funny, but too predictable to stand out I'm afraid.  6.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment