Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Week 41 in film

Mulholland Dr. (David Lynch, 2001)
It has been over two years since I watched my favorite film and I was really curious if it would disappoint me after all the great films I've seen in the last years. Did it disappoint? Not a second. What a masterpiece. This time it really struck me how great some of the lines are in its context. The scene in 'Club Silencio' is still my favorite and probably the best scene I can imagine. Why I love cinema! 10/10
"It's strange calling yourself."  



Sex and the City 1 & 2 (Michael Patrick King, 2008/2010)
Needed something for the balance...A lot of years ago I saw some of the series and what I remember was much much better than this. What a Hollywood superficiality this is. Both films could have been an hour shorter if they didn't have to show off all the designer clothing which probably financed these films. I was hoping for some self-criticism somewhere. Forget about it, fashion should make you happy...
Number 1: 3.5/10, number 2: 2.0/10

This Gun for Hire (Frank Tuttle, 1942)
Decent, enjoyable noir, like so many in the genre (if noir is a genre). The density of the plot (book adaptation in 80 minutes) of noirs keeps surprising me. Compare this to modern day cinema, inventive film  making. 7.5/10

World War Z (Marc Forster, 2013)
Brad Pitt goes 28 Days Later vs. Independence Day. The zombie-invade-the-earth and have a virus is not very original but directed well and Pitt's performance is, as so often, pretty decent. I didn't believe there had to be action in every scene or set where Pitt appears, the last act was by far the best, probably because the action dropped a bit and the suspense could take over.  6.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment