Monday, November 4, 2013

Week 44 in film

The Silence (Ingmar Bergman, 1963)
Bergman and female leads, sometimes a brilliant combination. This film has all the ingredients but somehow it doesn't work as well as for instance in his Persona, 3 years later. Tystnaden is at times too slow, it is however beautiful and the mystery between two sisters and one of their sons tickles the mind at times but it is not as convincing as some later films from the Swedish master. Feels like a warm up exercise for what I consider to be one of the best films ever. 7/10



The Lady Vanishes (Alfred Hitchcock, 1938)
Best known British film from the master of suspense. It takes a while before the mystery unravels but when we arrive at this point the suspense is as Hitch would make it his standard. Some of the story elements are a bit of a stretch and the shoot out scene is, as funny as it is, ridiculous which reduces the urgency of the plot. I did very much enjoy this film though. 7.5/10

Le rayon vert (Eric Rohmer, 1986)
Talk, talk in french. Somewhat lonely and clearly unhappy Parisian is left by her fiancee 2 weeks before their planned vacation. She plans to have a vacation anyway but is having a really hard time enjoying herself. Rohmer effectively portrays the bores and void of everyday life. The unhappy mood felt somewhat transferable and I am not sure if I find this a quality. All in all I expected more. I can see what the director wanted to do here and for most it might work but I felt bored too often.  6.5/10

Sweet Smell of Success (Alexander Mackendrick, 1957)
One of the last big titles in film noir. If I wouldn't know any better I would say this film was based on a play. As good as it is there is a relatively large amount of lively dialogue. Much of the action is left out and inferred events are therefore now shown. What remains are great performances by the two evil leads (Lancaster and Curtis). A good film and solid criticism towards show business but not in the same league as some great noirs from this era, if you ask me. 7.5/10

Moonrise (Frank Borzage, 1948)
Best film I saw this week. Borzage already surprised me with his Man's Castle (1933) and his great style can be seen here again. Emotionally layered and nuanced film which also managed to incorporate some beautiful cinematography. I will surely watch more from Borzage in the future.  8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment