Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Week 49 in film

El secreto de sus ojos (Juan Jose Campanella, 2009)
The film that kept Das Weisse Band from winning an Academy Award. I can't see why. It is original in the sense that it plays with the conventions of the crime-genre. Halfway this suspenseful film about a brutal rape and murder from the past it turns into a love story that didn't convince me really. Maybe I was hoping for a puzzle/detectivefilm too much. Somewhat original, but lacks the depth the ending requires.  7/10



The Wire - Season 5
Unfortunately, it ends. For a while I was afraid it wouldn't end in style but all in all I think it does. The last season chooses another interesting angle with the newspaper editorial department. This season has more politics, McNulty and a bit less gangster-shit. It tends to become improbable at some point, and the writers may have chosen some developments as a metaphor. It does make a strong point (I won't spoil...). Yes, best series I've seen so far. Well worth the investment of 50 to 60 hours of my life. If I haven't made it clear already, comes highly recommended!  9.5/10

Rising Sun (Philip Kaufman, 1993)
As stated before I am really into the early nineties Hollywood films. This one with Wesley Snipes and Sean Connery is a perfect example of the many many films that have been produced in this era. A mystery, ridiculous plot but great characters in this case portrayed by the great Sean Connery. Not very good, but so enjoyable and almost melancholic. 5/10

Drop Zone (John Badham, 1994)
Second film this week with Wesley Snipes. Again, not a very qualitative film but oh so much fun. A lot of skydiving, Hans Zimmer soundtrack and Gary Busey. Guarantee for 1,5 hours of entertainment. The plot is absolutely not important.  6.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment