Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Week 38 in film

Seconds (John Frankenheimer, 1966)
Yes, I was 'hoping' for a positive surprise, how unlogical this may sound. Concept of starting a new life with a new identity is not necessarily brilliant, even though original in 1966, but combined with the style of this film makes it more than worthwhile. Some great distorted imagery of which I only wished more and more. The last act is simply brilliant in more than one aspect and the overall message of this film is a fundamental one, I believe. I would spoil by explaining why. See for yourself :-).  8.5/10



Zusje (Robert Jan Westdijk, 1995)
Dutch film that only shows footage shot with a handicam by the protagonist. The choice for this form makes the 'reliable narrator'-angle interesting. At some points it does feel as a bit of a gimmick and the film doesn't manage to hold its suspense the whole time. I would recommend this if you like a somewhat more original narration, I am not saying all the cinematic elements are good though. 6.5/10

This is the End (Seth Rogen, 2013)
Kevin Smith-like friends-have-a-lot-of-fun-production. Tries to be both comedy and horror, and fails in at least one of the two. Some interesting issues are adressed (male friendship) but nevertheless I didn't really like this film. Why? It wasn't that funny, most of the jokes (sperm, penis, gay) felt forced and were hardly jokes. I did like the Michael Cera joke, and the Moneyball joke...that's about it. I will recommend this film if you like(d) the Backstreet Boys.  5/10

Saw (James Wan, 2004)
I remember being really impressed by this film the first time. Once you know the story (and twists etc), what remains is a very moderate film. I don't know why but I remembered this film to be much more suspenseful than it actually is. The whole time element, kidnapping of families etc is not very well executed, neither are the acting performances. Just because some parts are explicit or shocking doesn't necessarily make them good. 5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment