Sunday, September 29, 2013

Week 39 in film

Nostalghia (Andrei Tarkovsky, 1983)
Tarkovsky fascinates me. I like all of his films (some are all-time favorites) and I like re-watching his films. Nostalghia is perhaps his slowest and most challenging film. A second viewing made me appreciate this film more than the first time and I can imagine this film can grow on me. Situated in Bologna, Italy we follow a poet who has beautiful nostalgic visions and is fascinated by a guy who allegedly locked up his family for seven years. Tarkovsky was banished from Russia when this was filmed and this film is clearly autobiographical. Lots of depth, symbolism (the candle scene) and filled with visual hints. I might take notes and screenshots during a third viewing, that's the kind of film this is and how it fascinates me. For now:  9/10


Sweet and Lowdown (Woody Allen, 1999)
A documentary style film about the fictional jazz guitarist Emmett Ray (the second best guitar player in the world after Django Rheinhardt). Allen creates a believable world and Sean Penn portrays a character of which I would believe he really existed. These notions are not enough to make this a good film, the story is very Allen-like, focuses on Ray's love life, something that has been executed by the director much better many times. The fact that he is a great guitarist doesn't add much except for a good soundtrack. Dull-ish. 5/10

California Split (Robert Altman, 1974)
Robert Altman en Elliot Gould in the seventies, a wonder formula. This time Gould is a gambler who together with his friend slowly becomes more and more addicted. Portrayal of an addiction Altman style, a lot of noise, odd side-characters, no clear plotlines. I would say messy if it wasn't so interesting and well acted. I believe Altman knew exactly what he was doing. Not his best from this era, but with such a high standard this is still a good film. 7.5/10

The Man Who Fell to Earth (Nicolas Roeg, 1976)
David Bowie as an alien, perfect cast I would say and it works. Unfortunately this film lacks something which you might call a 'plot drive', not uncommon in some of the cinema of the seventies if you ask me. It made me experience this film as messy and unfocused. Just the peculiar Bowie and some good looking imagery is not enough to keep you up for almost two and a half hours.  4/10


Onder Ons (Marco van Geffen, 2011)
Dark dutch film about a Polish au pair and the circumstances in her environment. I like the narrative choice, a choice which asks for a creative twist or surprise. I won't spoil, but this notion has something to do why this movie doesn't convince me fully. 6.5/10

42nd Street (Lloyd Bacon, 1933)
The great Busby Berkeley. I am not a fan of musicals, but this is simply a lot of fun. The plot is like so many and most viewers will be waiting for the eye candy in the final act, which delivers. Not as good as Gold Diggers of 1933. 7/10

The Devils (Ken Russell, 1971)
Hailed as a masterpiece by many, at least according to some of the reviews I am reading over the internet. I can see the historical value, the controversy and why this is interesting. For me it wasn't so special, merely because I didn't like how the story is told and its visual style. I didn't experience much depth or character development (only the protagonist maybe) resulting in a partly tedious experience. 6.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment