Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Week 7 in film

Lost in Translation (Sofia Coppola, 2003)
Sometimes I can't resist to watch one of my favorites again. In most cases my enthousiasm grows, as is the case with Lost in Translation. I love the Hotel settings, I love how this film feels like Asian cinema. I love Bill Murray and Scarlett Johansson. Their chemistry and life phases are a recipe for a masterpiece. Johansson is the bright girl who sees that the enthousiastic behaviour of her generation (the talky actress) is fake and that real life might be a struggle. A struggle that Murray is living, acknowledging but he also knows how to deal with it. This, a great soundtrack and soothing pace makes one of my favorites, for sure.
"I guess every girl goes through a photography phase."
9.5/10



Venus in Fur (Roman Polanski, 2013)
Polanski adapts another play, and makes it even more minimal than Carnage. Just two players, Emmanuelle Seigner (Polanski's wife) and Mathieu Amalric (who looks very much like Polanski), and obviously they talk a lot where play and reality are interwoven. The tension builts up as the film progresses culminating in a grand finale. Maybe I would have appreciated it more if I knew the play, not bad, but became interesting too late. 6/10

Only Lovers Left Alive (Jim Jarmusch, 2013)
I really like what Jarmusch does here. Adam and Eve are vampires, they have lived through the whole of history, made their contributions and are contemplating on modern society and on what the future will be like ("Are they already fighting over water? No, it's still about oil"). I like the mood that Jarmusch is creating but does it really have to be that slow?  7.5/10

Dallas Buyers Club (Jean-Marc Vallee, 2013)
Some great performances aside (Oscar bait...), this film really isn't much more than a by the numbers, based on true events, TV-movie (we've seen all the obligatory characters before). I can imagine the gay-community being somewhat pissed off that this had to be from the perspective of a straighter than straight redneck to become a success. 4.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment