Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Week 8 and 9 in film

Her (Spike Jonze, 2013)
Wow! This must be the best film of 2013. It's smart, funny, visionary and exactly the kind of SF I like. Phoenix is endearing and even Johansson's voice was cast perfectly. Interesting question: is this Jonze his answer to Lost in Translation? The broken heart issue might not be just fictional but be inspired by Jonze his lost love Sofia Coppola. Anyway, Her is great and one Academy Award was not enough if you ask me.
You're dating an OS! So, what's that like?  9/10



La vita e bella (Roberto Benigni, 1997)
Disappointing. This film takes place in one of the most horrible places in history. Benigni annoyed me more than he made me feel emotional, positive or negative. 6/10 

The Innocents (Jack Clayton, 1961)
One of the scariest films ever. No 'cheap' thrills but tense directing and very well acted by the children. Showing a minimum of that what we should be scared of again proves to work very well. 8.5/10

12 Years A Slave (Steve McQueen, 2013)
Finally, a good film that adresses the horrors of slavery. I was afraid of a lot of 'Oprah-Winfrey'-like sentimentality but McQueen stays true to his style and makes no compromises. Beautifully shot and well acted, especially by Michael Fassbender and his terrifying wife (Sarah Paulson). I was impressed after the final shot, more than I expected while the film was progressing. Yes, it is good enough to win an Oscar. 8/10

The Grand Budapest Hotel (Wes Anderson, 2014)

Colorful, stylish and screwbally funny. Fans of the director will be treated with 'the usual' but also something fresh and original in the world of Anderson. Not as good as Moonrise Kingdom but unlike some of the earlier Anderson's I like this film. Keep them coming. 8/10



August: Osage County (John Wells, 2013)
This film is over the top. Overacted by Streep and Roberts (I think she had a lot of fun). Some parts were well acted, but it is not really a good film. I did have a lot of fun, though. Only Nicolas Cage was missing
 ;-). 6.5/10

Ain't Them Bodies Saints (David Lowery, 2013)
Are all films from the midwest Malick-like now? This one is for sure inspired by films like Days of Heaven. Unfortunately not the best copy. Looks good but fails to tell an interesting story. 5.5/10

Breakfast at Tiffany's (Blake Edwards, 1961)
I can see why its iconic, not that good if you ask me. Who would cast an American to play an Asian these days? Racist, but, I am sorry, very funny. Entertained me, but in the end I cared just as much for the cat as I did for Paul Varjak. 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment