Monday, August 5, 2013

Week 31 in film

The Wire - Season 1 (David Simon, 2002)

Usually I try to 'avoid' series. I am simply too sensitive to addiction and loyal so it always becomes very time consuming. With The Wire I couldn't resist and had to watch the pilot. I was hooked instantly. Firstly, the activity of a police unit versus an advanced criminal organisation is exactly what I like in a series and I am reading and hearing nothing but praise about how it is done here. It took me 3 days to watch the first season, which is proving my addictive nature (or lack of better things to do) and is a confirmation of the suspenseful quality of this series. But there is so much more. The numerous characters are all made interesting, multi-dimensional and most of their motivations are very insightful. The writing and dialogue is so damn realistic I wouldn't dare to cross the street in Baltimore (Omar's coming...). Good to know that there are 4 seasons to come for me, I will find time, because I absolutely love this. Has everything I would ask of a series that keeps me up at night and constantly makes me want to continue watching. Brilliant.  9.5/10

The Call (Brad Anderson, 2013)
The director of The Machinist (remember, a 45 kg Christian Bale...) made a pretty great first hour in this thriller where Halle Berry is talking a young girl through a kidnapping on the phone. As soon as the phone call ends the film goes down to an almost ridiculous level. Fun maybe, but totally unseemly.  6/10

Summer with Monika (Ingmar Bergman, 1953)
Early Bergman is somewhat mediocre and has less to say than some of his later work. But an 'ok' Bergman is still pretty good. 7.5/10

Absolute Power (Clint Eastwood, 1997)
A 'middle' nineties American action thriller involving the president as a bad guy. Very cliche, but I am filled with nostalghia since this is exactly the kind of movie I grew up with. And with good old Clint in the lead it is not hard rooting for the good guy, is it?  6.5/10

Margot at the Wedding (Noah Baumbach, 2007)
Portraying somewhat troubled and unpleasant characters is Baumbachs trademark it seems. Most of the cast of this film fits this suit perfectly, but unlike in his Frances Ha I couldn't care about them much. Feels almost just as unbalanced as their characters. 5.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment