Monday, August 12, 2013

Week 32 in film

The Grandmaster (Wong Kar Wai, 2013)
As stated before, I am nog a big fan of Wong Kar Wai. Somehow, I don't like his way of storytelling. On the other hand I do appreciate his visual style and The Grandmaster is definitely a visual treat. Even if you're not into Kung fu, go watch this film for some amazing choreography and cinematography. Downside is, again, the story the director tells us. A film like this should have ended on a high, unfortunately Wai made a different choice and the whole feels unbalanced.  7.5/10




Post Tenebras Lux (Carlos Reygadas, 2012)
I was really looking forward to this film as it is compared to the work of Terrence Malick for instance. I can see this from the beautiful openingtake but it doesn't hold very long. Some individual scenes (mostly posed as dreams or memories, which usually really works for me) are fascinating but some are exhausting and too far from the core of the film, if there is one, and at the end of the film I believe to have found one. A unique piece of work, but too fragmented and distant too get me really excited. The lack of non-diegetic music doesn't help much. 7/10

The Quiet American (Joseph L. Mankiewicz, 1958)
Every minute of this film felt mediocre and lacks the suspense I was hoping for. Hopefully my first encounter with this director isn't representative for the rest of his oeuvre. 6/10

Blood Work (Clint Eastwood, 2002)
Not a good film. I won't 'spoil' why it isn't. But when Clint is chasing a serial killer who leaves codes, takes relics from his victims and keeps both Clint and the viewer puzzling it entertains me sufficiently. Every minute after the mystery is solved is redundant.  6/10

No comments:

Post a Comment