Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Week 33 in film

Pain & Gain (Michael Bay, 2013)
One of Bay's best performances. Pain & Gain tries to be satirical and succeeds most of the time. Bay's high speed lets-blow-something-up-style is still visible here and still disturbing at times. I laughed a lot, nevertheless, I believe this script would have been better off with a different director with a better sense of satire. Fitness as a metaphor for the American dream and its disappointing result could have been done better.  6.5/10



Behind the Candelabra (Steven Soderbergh, 2013)
Of course, most of the credits go to Michael Douglas, who is simply great, but I believe Matt Damon's performance is just as impressive but in the shadow of his partner, which is exactly his role in this film. Besides performances a solid biopic from Soderbergh, who stops making films (again)? And how cool was Rob Lowe in this film.  7.5/10

The Bling Ring (Sofia Coppola, 2013)
Not as great as Coppola's earlier work. Her style feels extremely uneven and boring at times. I can't imagine this is on purpose regarding its thematics, which is in itself interesting enough to keep this film going. 6.5/10

The Lone Ranger (Gore Verbinski, 2013)
Just another Depp-does-his-thing-formula. I went in with low expectations and found myself having a good time. Should do this more often when I go to the cinema ;-).  6/10

The Boondock Saints (Troy Duffy, 1999)
Almost shockingly disappointing. The directing is simply horrible, this film wants to be everything it is not! Tarantino and Guy Ritchie are looking really good compared to this work of crap. I am not going to rate it a 1 because Willem Dafoe did have one or two fun scenes in this, he could have never saved it, though. 3/10

Pacific Rim (Guillermo del Toro, 2013)
Power Rangers on steroids and in 3D. I guess it is pretty good when you're into the genre. For me it felt boring and compulsory (fighting partners have to compatible bla bla) most of the times. Have to give it credits for the production design and visuals. 5.5/10



Shadows of Our Forgotten Ancestors (Sergei Parajanov, 1965)
Beautiful love story with stunning images and cinematography, which is not uncommon in Russian cinema. Unfortunately I did feel at arms length most of the time, probably because I didn't get all the symbolism (lot of Christian and Paganism) and perhaps it pays off to study a bit of history on this one. Nevertheless I believe that a movie should be good enough on its own, which this one is, don't get me wrong. Recommended.  8/10

Ballad of Narayama (Keisuke Kinoshita, 1958)
More or less the same as for Parajanov's film holds for this one. Beautifully shot at times but I couldn't really feel the emotional built up and couldn't feel with the characters. In fact, I did read up on ubasute (carrying your elder to a mountain top to die there). It helped me in understanding some of the motivations but I can't say it really grabbed me.  7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment